Sunday 26 September 2010

There are unhappy robins

Smitonius:

Managed to sneak off to Northumberland on Thursday for a couple of nights, as partner working in the area. This translates into a regular set of experiences, such as fish and chips in Seahouses:


a bracing walk by the sea:


(special photo effects courtesy of Hipstamatic for the iphone, by the way). And, in addition, a visit to a country pile or castle in the vecinity - the place is littered with history. So this time we went to Belsay Hall and the last day of an exhibition in the house and gardens called Extraordinary Measures. The Middleton family, bored after 600 years (give or take) of living in their own castle,

decided to move into a newly built Hellenic inspired mansion carved out of the quarry in their own backyard - which promply became a sublime landscaped garden - in the early nineteenth century.The mansion or hall was devastated by dry rot, but although there are no furnishings some of the old wallpaper survives:

So, why, might you ask, do I refer to unhappy robbins in my title? The exhibition had artists playing on myths and fairy tales, in a way, and some exhibits were funny, and others spooky, and others ... naked! Yup, it was fun to walk into the Hellenic mansion followed by families with young kids in tow who gasped and giggled at the sight of a naked woman (and a naked man in the next room) sculpted by Ron Mueck. His work is extraordinary, hyper real, and disturbing: see this blog entry for more pics. But what I really loved was this knitted version of myth of Theseus by Freddie Robins:

6 comments:

Kate on Clinton said...

I am most taken by the wallpaper. Not sure if I'd want a full room of it, but it is beautiful.

mountainear said...

I've seen work by Ron Mueck and it is indeed disturbing and thought provoking. I think it is the distorted scale and hyper-realism. Some of the figures I would not want to be alone in a room with - but don't ask me why!

Liz Hinds said...

Those fish and chips look good.

Marcheline said...

Damn. Now I'm not only craving fish and chips, but also a photo of the naked man exhibit.

Come on, let's have it! (I like malt vinegar on mine.)

... the chips, that is... *wink*

Carolina said...

I do love Ron Mueck's work. Just a bit unsettling, but also funny and interesting.
Poor little Robins ;-)

Jinksy said...

Not sure which part of S&S left a question in my blog's comment about advanced art class - I'd be happy to answer any direct emails! (Address on my profile page) As far as I know, there are no alternative classes I could get to - not being a driver...
Lovely plate of fish and chips, as well as a pretty photo to look at...