Wednesday 9 March 2011

May cottage

Smitonius:

Recently, as we sat on the bus, my mother sounded surprised at the name of a house in the middle of Hackney (london) called 'Seaview Cottage'. In their dreams! But then again, sometimes houses have names that do not reflect their character. Take my house, which is called 'May Cottage'. It should look like this:

(a snapshot of the fabric for a 1920s dressing gown at the vintage fair). Or, failing that, like this:


(a box at the same vintage clothing fair). But our house was called 'a brutalist 1960s bungalow' by the estate agent who came to value it a few years ago: a rectangular brick clad breeze blocked beauty in my eyes.

Does your dwelling have a name? And, if so, does it suit it?

10 comments:

rachel said...

Mine doesn't, but could rightfully be called Pet Hair Hall. A '30s semi in the next street was called Osokose until it was sold on. No one ever pronounced the final 'e' as intended.

Tania said...

Nope, no name plastered on my house either. Which is a shame – Enter At Own Risk has a certain ring to it...

colleen said...

Yes. It has a name. Ivy Cottage. But only in my head. I keep asking my partner - who is good at these things - to paint the name on the window above the door, to no avail. I think it would entertain passers-by, or infuriate those who would find it utterly pretentious.

The Cranky Crone, she lives alone! said...

Ther is a collective name for my row of cottages called 'Whatcote', this suits me very much as Ihave so many coats all hung up in bundles in the porch, some I think have not seen the light of day for some time.

Marcheline said...

Yes - as my husband and I are extremely fond of our Scottish heritage, our cottage is named "Thistlebright". We even built a white picket front gate and put a name sign on. Bear designed a beautiful thistle stencil, which he applied just over the name on the sign.

shandy said...

When we moved in, the previous people told us our house was called Montrose. We used this for a while, but we began to suspect that they had got it from Homebase, as they had many of the "period" details, so we stopped using it.

Friko said...

Mine has a posh name, it sits on the edge of a pretend moat, dry, with a ruined castle at the other end, so guess what it's called? Altogether now "Castle Moat".

Kathe W. said...

nope no name for our 1965 comtemporary house-other than "Welcome Come on in!"
and thanks for your kind comments on my blog! Cheers!

Maggie Christie said...

Mine's an almost unpronounceable Welsh word meaning 'Owen's enclosure'. I've always wondered who Owen was and I wonder what he thinks of the English people now living in his enclosure.

Lucille said...

I know of a house called Park View. It's opposite a large Sainsbury's car park.