Friday 4 November 2011

One Can Overdo The Self Restraint

Sonata:
Grandson was on the 'phone yesterday ,

"I get school dinners" ( this good fortune never fails to amaze him ) "and today I had potatoes and pizza and baked beans ."

"On the same plate ? ", I ask faintly .

"Of course!" ..... the "Why ever not ? " unspoken but clear .

"And what did you choose for pudding?"

"Strawbery Smoothie" .

My grandson , the Gourmet .

Perhaps it's a boy thing .... if there's food about , it must be eaten . Years ago , when my daughters were little , a neighbouring small boy would drop in and hover in the kitchen . If we were eating , he'd get a plate too . The contents would be hoovered up and he'd clear his throat . His deep little voice would give the verdict . "I like cheese ." .... Considered pause ...."I like more cheese".

Mind you , I don't do self restraint either . This evening Friend called . Long Tall Sally , the Mecca for tall ladies , was having a pop-up shop in Amsterdam this weekend , "would I like to go , too ?" . Having already resolved to economise this month , I should have declined . Instead short little me leapt to my feet and said YES !!

12 comments:

molly said...

With three boys I know all about the capacity of the m,ale stomach!! When the eldest went away to college I had an awful time adjusting the amount I cooked. Strange life forms started to accumulate in my fridge, until I realised he won't be home 'til Christmas, so you had just better throw all these science experiments in the rubbish bin! Now he's visiting and he's brought his two hollow legs with him......

Rattling On said...

I always find it's the case that as soon as you decide to cut back then the opportunities to spend keep pouring in. At least Christmas can be used as an excuse for a short while.

rachel said...

Yes, it's a boy thing! My son had hollow legs too, but my brother - well, he was legendary (and thin as a rail). A stack of bread and jam/chocolate spread/peanut butter sandwiches would be required just to stop him from falling dead of hunger between school and teatime an hour later....

Deborah said...

Pffttt...self-restraint is for the faint-hearted. Which I know you're not.

Short(ish?) you going to a LTS showing is something I understand completely. Even though my 74 inches is unlikely to be accommodated in a shop for petites, I go in them anyway just to have a look. And I'm pretty sure that once I even found something there that covered me.

Fran Hill said...

Why miss an opportunity? Baked beans or Amsterdam ... go for it.

Carolina said...

But you're only going to A'dam to give advice, aren't you? ;-)

My self restraint usually is nowhere to be found when fudge is in sight.

Freda said...

I was cutting back and doing my bit for frugality by helping to cook up a big pot of Chilli. Guess who put in so much chilli paste that the whole thing was no use.

Friko said...

a short little person should be safe enough in LTS. You didn't buy anything, did you?

Liz Hinds said...

Restraint is a much over-valued attitude.

Marcheline said...

Trust me, I know the feeling. Just got home from our first vacation together since 2002 (our honeymoon) to find notices of the mortgage/taxes/escrow going up. Yay.

love those cupcakes said...

A little boy here eats anything and everything. Dinner, paper, cucumber ends, cardboard, you name it. Mind you, he has four legs and a waggy tail which probably explains the strange diet.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Ah yes. Think it is boys with food. Both my grandsons aged 5 and not yet 2 can easily clear what looks to me to be an adult sized portion!