Thursday 29 November 2012

Quite A Few Shades Of Grey



Sonata:
The tail end of Autumn has been horrid this year  . The whole world seems to have gone grey .... every shade from anthracite and charcoal to dust and fag-ash . So I feel  the least I can do is to offer a couple of splashes of colour seen around this week :
This shimmering golden poster for a ballet company


some wreaths in the market

and my favourite , these two old illustrations , artist unknown , that I found in a Collector's Fair last Saturday .



A visit to the playschool and a therapeutic half hour making things out of plasticine with giggly three-year-olds , television with the BBC series "Last Tango In Halifax" and culinary adventures in Professional Masterchef , and a wonderfully bouncy CD  "Congolese Soukous"  which promises 'guitar action from the heart of danceness' have all made sure that , grey or not , ít's been a good week .
And may I wish you all a wonderful and cosy weekend ....

11 comments:

Martha said...

LOVE those pictures! They are drawn by Eleazar Beskow and I believe they can be found in the book, Peter in Blueberry Land.

I also LOVE those wreaths!!!

Martha said...

Cripes! Auto correct!!! It is ELSA Beskow.

:o)

molly said...

I love those pictures too! Will have to hunt down that book.....

colleen said...

Ah - so I have not been the only one finding the greyness somewhat challenging this year. Normally I do my best to embrace it, but if things aren't going quite how you might wish, grey skies make it all so much worse. Lucky you to have found some brightness!

Friko said...

What a good idea to concentrate on ‘colourful’ rather than dismal. You have a pupil willing to learn here.

Rattling On said...

Lovely illustrations, and very festive as well. Awful weather again here, back to gloom and wet. Bring out the fairylights!

love those cupcakes said...

I've a 'thing' for ballet posters and love the one you've posted. It was very white here yesterday, but hey ho, it's back to damp gloom today.

Liz Hinds said...

You have brightened my week!

Lucille said...

Lovely pictures and wouldn't it be nice to have time to sit and polish apples? That is what they are doing isn't it?

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

No , they're polishing cranberries ! Either German cranberries are ginormous or the girls are fairies . I rather like the idea of Fairy Grandmothers , I must admit .
The artist is Elsa Bescow , and I've been admiring her drawings online since I read Martha's comment (Thankyou !) I love them .

Ginnie said...

I love those drawings, too! They remind me of the Dutch illustrator Rie Cramer - I have a book called Het Jaar Rond that Gerrit's daughter gave me years ago. I'll have to let Karin know about Elsa Bescow, as she loves that style of art.