Tuesday 26 March 2013

Withered old and terrible gaunt" describes me well , at the moment.Not because of the move , though it wasn't something I'd ever want to repeat , but the building of an Ikea chest of drawers .
The lovesome , huge and capacious Malm , to be precise . Arriving in two hefty flatpacks , which turned out to contain lots of heavy , precision cut slabs of veneered chipboard , it seemed simple enough to construct . And then I unearthed the bag of fixings .... 267 screws , nails , wooden plugs , plastic locking affairs , runners , minute plastic whatsits to stop the drawers making a noise as they shut .... it was endless . As was the construction itself . Like everyone else , I've put together a Billy bookcase and a table and was game to expand my repertoire .
Well , we survived . A Malm chest of drawers is ours and I'm sure , with a bit of a rest and some feeding up , I'll look my old self in no time .
The quote ? W.B. Yeats , of course .

7 comments:

rachel said...

You survived a Malm chest of drawers. You deserve a very big treat now. A Billy bookcase nearly did me in!

molly said...

Missed you! Hope all the hard work makes your new house a cozy home, a place you'll love to come back to.....

Rattling On said...

My friend once bought a wardrobe from there, it had lots of tiny bits missing. They kept sending replacements and other wrong pieces. In the end she managed to make 2 wardrobes out of all the bits! Remember the Krypton Factor?

Marcheline said...

This is why I drive a pickup truck. When I need a piece of furniture, I go driving around the wealthy neighborhoods in springtime, when they put their antiques out at the curb and go shopping for new stuff. I've acquired an (already assembled) wardrobe, table, bookcase, and kitchen table that way. 8-)

love those cupcakes said...

Respect!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh my! Well done. You deserve chocolate.

Friko said...

It’ll all be over soon and you can teach the rest of us how to assemble furniture.