Tuesday 16 May 2017

The Social Whirl Begins Again ...


It's the Season ... the time to see and to be seen by the world  , at large .
 
Now that we can all go out for longer without freezing to death , we're being offered all sorts of treats . It's time again for Shanty Choir concerts , jumble sales and fêtes , a sportspark opening with songs from  'the Armenian Bob Dylan ' , a balloon competition and freestyle football ...
 
But I've got my eye on this month's top local event . The 2017 Open  Potato Peeling Championship in St. Annaparochie next Tuesday . There will apparently be a wide range of knives and potato peelers available ( also for lefthanded contestants ) , though one can bring one's own , and everyone's welcome to enter . You'll have 268 seconds to peel as many potatoes as you can and at the end of the day there will be a tie-breaker for the best five entrants ... top prize is 75 Euros , so I might start practising now and  , what's more ,  you get to keep your peeled spuds to take home . Bring your own bucket , presumably .
 
But I'll leave you now to further plan my weekend , since I've just caught sight , on page 10 of this week's local paper , of a hooivorkdarten event , not to mention some spijkerslaan . My Fries   isn't really fluent   is nonexistent but , as far as I can work out this translates as pitchfork throwing and nail hammering .
 
On reflection , this sounds slightly risky .  I almost prefer the sound of Britsum's  " I Love The '90s"  fête . 

 
 
Oh yes , I've just realised that I've forgotten to include this weekend's Pzza Dough Painting and the otter-spotting .

4 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

I have peeled enough potatoes in my lifetime that I couldn't imagine voluntarily peeling more:) But it would be fun to watch the techniques of others:)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I am the world's slowest potato peeler. In 268 seconds, I might be able to peel one potato. MIGHT.

colleen said...

Another list of reasons why Brexit is such a bad idea. Bring on those spuds!

Liz Hinds said...

Wow! Such a busy time! I quite fancy pitchfork throwing. Do you get to choose your target?