Thursday 3 May 2018

Lately


Today the sun shone and people were smiling and taking photos of pink trees. 

Apparently, in a rather colder Leicester, Smaller Grandson spent yesterday afternoon trying to teleport himself round the house. According to his mother, he's been putting a lot of effort into it. I really hope he manages it . Then he could pop over for lunch.
                                                                      
                                                                      ****
I used my new skin cleanser this morning and was surprised to find  it's green (no,  not my face. The lotion )  and that it smells aggresively of cucumber.  And suddenly I was six again.
High tea with various elderly great aunts all eyeing bowls of salad, searching for sneaky slices of cucumber.
The minute one was found Auntie Bel would beat herself on the chest, closely followed by her sister Claire and they'd both say, " It really doesn't agree with me."
I could never work out what Grandpa's sisters and the cucumber could find to fight about, till a cousin explained with sound effects. I was very impressed ... do children still have burping competitions? My mother discouraged these . They gave you indigestion, she said. (This was obviously an everpresent family danger ! )

Oh, I found a giant lizard lurking amid the blossom photos .........

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The polite phrase regarding cucumbers is that they "repeat." How Victorian, eh?

Joanne Noragon said...

Oh, childhood contests! Did British children make noises of flatulence with their armpits?

Elephant's Child said...

Love that lizard. And your blossoming trees which are half a year away here. Cucumbers disagree with me too. I really don't like the taste. And the sneaky way that taste is spread onto everything the cucumber touches.

Around My Kitchen Table said...

It is a family thing to have thinly sliced cucumber with pepper in vinegar and have it with roast dinner. The other half thinks it very strange! I notice on the TV cookery competitions that having "lightly pickled" veg with dishes is quite trendy these days!

Liz Hinds said...

I hope GrandSon is successful and that he shares the secret with you.