Sunday 24 March 2019

Everything...

Yesterday had everything …




An elephant dressed in Kevlar and lace, a quickstep with a terrier, a lead, his owner and her rollator ( it became rather macrame-like till we could all realign ourselves ), coffee with Shakespeare's Wife on the train, the chance to play with a four year-old and a silver foot ball and to top it all, a magic cookery book…


Or maybe, had the sun not been shining, I would just have written that the Groninger Museum had decided to stage an exhibition of everything animal-related hidden in their vaults, including the life-size elephant, a dragon and a conveyor belt. That the terrier had wound himself so successfully round the rollator's wheels that his owner was stranded between me and the bus and it seemed rude to shove her aside rather than help. That Germaine Greer's book, grabbed from the pile by my bed, was entertaining with breakfast on the train. Or that waiting in a draughty bus station, the little boy was having a wonderful time shooting penalties with a tiny football made by his big brother out of rolled-up silver paper from a few chocolate bars.

And the cookbook? My favourite secondhand bookshop had it in their 50 cent box, obviously unaware of the magic recipe inside … Above a yellowing early '60s illustration of something orange-ish, it promised everyone's warming favourite, Tomato Soup.  The list of ingredients is economical in the extreme: 1 litre of cold water, 5 tomatoes, 2 cloves. And the method? Boil for 35 minutes. Season if necessary.  Yum!

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like a great day in every way!

Joanne Noragon said...

Sounds to me like the perfect day, especially the sunshine and the cookbook. I just thought of my childhood cookbook, that I gave to my brother to use. I wonder if his son still has it. I must ask. That's where my tomato soup recipe lives.

Liz Hinds said...

Sounds like a great day at the museum. But I don't like cloves. Not one bit.

Friko said...

You make something special out of a simple day out and the treasures you find on the way, tangible or not.

For a long time I lost comments to the ‘moderate’ box on my blog. They have now be retrieved and read, thank you so much for your kind words during my troubled times. I hope you are well.