Sunday 2 June 2019

Still Shoeless, of Course


But I have got another Pyrex dish, seven more secondhand detective books and two jigsaws. In my defence I should say that I had taken five cookery books and a raincoat to  the charity shop when I went... as Kondo-ish as I'm likely to get.

 One of the puzzles is guaranteed to send me boss-eyed; by Tuesday I'll be seeing little red triangles on everything. Charity shop jigsaws only come in two kinds..."Views" like German Castles, Greek Temples or Shakespeare's Birthplace … or "Busy" like Biscuits, Fish Scales or Ferns. Well, this one is a Mayan mother with her baby, wrapped in a blanket, mostly blanket. Endless stripes and a straw hat. I think it's supposed to be soothing … we'll see. Anyway, I've got a big jar of olives and a chicken roasting in the oven. So happy me.

Boats chugging up and down the river. A large, lurid pink Geranium called Marjorie, a big bag of Minneolas and Summer's beginning.

Now the Keep fit group has shrunk for the Summer, the local paper is the source of all gossip again. It's funny how much has changed in the last few years. These days the mayor seems to attend endless 100th Birthday parties and Golden Wedding Anniversaries but a couple of weeks ago he outdid himself. A local couple celebrated their Platinum Anniversary and her 108 year-old father was there to raise his glass to them, too. My youngest aunt, who's going to be 80 next week, seems positively frisky in comparison … mind you, she and her husband still go on hiking holidays.  Don't think I've ever hiked …..

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I have no patience whatsoever for jigsaw puzzles of any kind. They drive me mental. So hats off to you for your focus and concentration! (I hope all the puzzle pieces are there! That can be an issue with second-hand puzzles, I hear.)

Friko said...

Puzzles, now there’s an idea. The one thing wrong with charity shop puzzles is they usually have a piece missing. Thriller I too buy at charity shops. Like you I take boxes of books there, mostly long outdated scientific books and ancient novels which nobody reads nowadays. I wonder if my bookshelves will actually see some daylight between books or if they will grow as stuffed again as they always were.

For gossip I use a group of Thursday lunching ladies. Sometimes I have to bite my tongue - lets say we are not exactly of the same mind when it comes to discussing politics , refugees, the poor, etc. but they can always be relied on to known who’s doing what to whom and when.

Liz Hinds said...

Good grief! That - platinum plus father - can't happen very often.

I usually find charity shop jigsaws are all there.I currently have four bags of recycling to go to a charity shop; will I be able to resist buying books? Or a jigsaw?

Angela said...

Hello friends i am happy i got my Loan from Mr. Weiss Maxwell you can get your's too email him via Email: (citvendorfinance@gmail .com) or WhatsApp: +1 (747) 223-7461 and get yours God bless you Mr. Weiss Maxwell thanks.