Tuesday 30 March 2010

Worried About The Cost Of Easter Eggs ?

Sonata :


If you've decided that , this year , vast expenditure on glittery cardboard boxes with measly inferior Easter eggs inside is to be avoided , then I have a couple of suggestions . From a 1937 children's magazine, it's true , but quick and easy .
Decorating hardboiled eggs is always an option ..... and gives you a tasty breakfast and present in one .

Zonneschijn kindly gives you a few decorating tips if you're stuck for ideas
Alternatively you can present cheaper eggs in natty baskets cut from cardboard ......


Or there's the , admittedly non-animal-welfare option ..... find a small fluffy kitten and present it to your child in a pretty ( re-usable ) cardboard egg . This cannot , unfortunately , cannot be repeated year after year , and has the added disadvantage of the hidden costs involved in feeding a rapidly growing cat for 15 or so years .


Easter lunch can also be a festive , but economical , meal if you prepare Boiled Rabbit with Parsley Sauce and follow it with Chocolate Mould and Custard ( recipes in Newne's Household Encyclopaedia , published 1931 ) .

I feel I owe a debt of gratitude to Millie , in writing this post . She is currently to be found caring for Rachel in her usual competent manner on Slow Lane Life .... see Blog List on the right .

11 comments:

rachel said...

Millie thanks you for the credit given, but wonders why you would bother to boil the rabbit first?

RAttling On said...

Now....where do I get a kitten in time for Sundat?

Friko said...

sorry, was it boiling the kitten and stuffing the egg with rabbit or vice versa?

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

made me so happy to see you visiting today....

thanks for taking the time to stop by...
so great to see a good friend

sending love,
kary

Tania said...

I'm just a bit fearful of the Chocolate Mould and Custard bit. Are we talking chocolate from decades past or what? Meanwhile, the Mr would pay to put next door but one's cat in an attractive cardboard egg...

Penny said...

I'm afraid that menu suggestion is making me feel a little faint...and that's just the chocolate mould. However Higgins and Henry are angling for a cardboard egg with Easter bunny inside to share. Happy Easter! xx

mountainear said...

Was life so much simpler then? Anybody that's ever tried to stuff a cat into a cardboard box will have a ready answer to that one.

molly said...

Or there's the Ukrainian option---pysanky. My in-laws are from the Ukraine, so we've seen all kinds of beautifully hand painted eggs. Even got a stylus and some wax one year and had a go myself. What I found was that it takes a steadier hand than mine----or a lot more practice!

This year I'll be sticking with Chocolate eggs....

Marcheline said...

Argh, Friko beat me to my joke... dangit!

By the way, the cost of feeding a cat is nothing compared to the treasure of love and joy they bring to a household. Worth every penny.

We decorate eggs every year - regular old hardboiled eggs. And then my husband makes the best egg salad IN THE WORLD out of them!

8-)

Liz Hinds said...

I didn't get a single egg - or kitten! For which George is probably glad.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

thanks for the great soup recipe, my friend. it sounds wonderful and i will try it....

just hanging on till we go and get Teddy...

good to see you today, as always

sending love,
kary