Monday 31 December 2012

Room For Improvement

Sonata:
I've got a lamentable record as far as keeping New Year Resolutions , so this year I've rethought the whole thing .
I've decided just to concentrate on a couple of things where there is room for improvement ( yes , I know there are several areas that could be tweaked ... but to have any chance of success it's better to be realistic ) . So here goes ....
1 ) Remember this at all times , flossing with fervour every night , even when on holiday 

2 ) Play that wretched Pilates DVD at least once and remember that a lady never slouches

3 ) Surprise family and friends with unusual vegetables

Oh yes , and
4 ) Read even more vintage cookery books . These illustrations , from Economical , Easy & Tasty Fish Recipes and Countess Morphy's veg book , came in a packet of four such treasures from Smitonius and Partner , beautifully wrapped for Christmas .
Meanwhile , A Happy New Year to you all from Smitonius and me ! I hope 2013 is kind to us all .

11 comments:

Lucille said...

A Happy New Year to you both and thank you for visiting.

lovethosecupcakes said...

Oh, Gibbs dentifrice. I remember using that as a little girl. It was pink and frothy and very medicinal smelling.

Good luck with those resolutions and a very happy and healthy New Year to you both.

Carolina said...

With regards to the 'Surprise famly and friends with unusual vegetables' resolution, one warning: according to Nigel Slater Jerusalem Artichokes give you wind. Your family will perhaps surprise you with some interesting odours in return.

Happy New Year to you and yours and I do love vintage cook books too and interior deco magazines as well.

rachel said...

I loved Gibbs' Dentifrice when I was at boarding school!

But it was cruel of you to show us that revolting vegetable thing without telling us what it was made of - what on earth is that green disc on the top??

June said...

The vegetable dish! Is it a cylinder of "ivory castles" sitting on a pancake and topped with a slab off a monster kiwi?

Happy New Year. And good luck with those resolutions!

Liz Hinds said...

I instinctively sat up straighter when I read a lady never slouches. Maybe that should be my resolution? Maybe that is one I could keep. No, wait, I'm slouching already.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Rachel and June , I've examined the photo of the delicious surprise closely and it just might be a ring of mini Brussel sprouts ...
And though I do rather like June's idea of there being two layers of teeth in the middle , the Countess's recipes are for the Home Counties rather than Transylvania . Boiled vegetable marrow features fairly heavily ....
Having read it , there's not an aspic dish included among the recipes anywhere so your guess is as good as mine ....

Marcheline said...

My favorite is surprising people with unusual vegetables. What comes to mind:

* a cucumber in the bed

* a head of cauliflower in the shower

* a handful of beans in the bathroom rinse cup

... got any more?

8-)

Friko said...

Well, that should be easy to achieve. At the end of 2013 you’ll have gaps between your teeth from all the flossing, backache from avoiding the slouch and nobody in your family will want you to cook for them.

well done!

Ginnie said...

Don't go overboard with that improvement stuff. Love those cookbook pictures - I have a cookbook that was given to my grandmother when she was engaged, circa 1920. Very fun to read.

colleen said...

Just checking that you've made a good start on all of these. We'll expect regular updates, especially on the unusual vegetables.