Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Odd Bit Of Christmas Music


Sonata :
It still seems a little unreal this year but it's nearly Christmas ! Not that the music so far has been much of a clue . All the shops in town seem to subscribe to the same muzak channel which plays every Christmas song Dolly Parton's ever sung with a occasional guest appearance from Kenny Rogers .
 On a street corner , there was a man playing "Jingle Bells " very slowly on a penny whistle and an unlikely chap in the pharmacy this afternoon started " O , Denneboom   ... " until silenced with a look by the pharmacist . Well , I could see her point ... he might have had the odd mulled wine or two since lunch
 But the only Christmas song worth listening to so far has been from Elder Grandson ...
"We're singing carols for the Nativity play at school "
"How lovely ! Could you sing one for me ? "
" Well , I don't know , it's very long ... and a bit rude "
"Oh ? And you're singing it for the Nativity play ? "
"Yes , we all are , even though it's a bit long and not very polite "
"Well , I'd love to hear it "
Huge intake of breath ...
" We wish you a Merry Christmas,
 We wish you a Merry Christmas,
 We wish you a Merry Christmas ,
 And a Happy New Year  ...
 Good tidings we bring ,
 To you and your kin ,
 We wish you a Mery Christmas ,  And A Happy New Year

Another huge intake of breath ..." This is the rude bit now , Granny ! "

"Now bring us some figgy pudding ,
 Now bring us some figgy pudding ,
 Now bring us some figgy pudding
 And bring some right here ...

Another deep breath ...

"And we won't go until we've got some ,
 And we won't go until we've got some ,
 And we won't go until we've got some ,
 So bring some right here ....

see , I did tell  you it was a bit rude . "
I hope a big part of him stays five for ever .

10 comments:

Lucille said...

I was bracing myself for a new version! How funny.

love those cupcakes said...

Aww, bless.
My hairdresser was telling me today about rehearsals for the nativity at his wife's (she's a newly qualified teacher in her first job) primary school. Seems she had to suggest to the Deputy Head that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to have Mary in a cropped top or for the children to dance to something with the lyric "Mary had a one night stand", particularly as theirs is a Catholic school and the Pastor was attending as guest of honour.

June said...

Oh! Too sweet!

Unknown said...

nice stuff it is by that post.I love Christmas songs!
favorite Christmas Song

molly said...

Bless his little heart! That attitude at five will stand him in as good stead when he's five and twenty!

Ginnie said...

Oh my gosh! That is so cute!

rachel said...

Aw, bless.....

Friko said...

A very well brought up boy; if this is how rude he gets, that’s wonderful.

Rattling On said...

I, too, thought there would be new words!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh I hope so! I've always thought that is rather cheeky!