Monday 2 March 2015

A Garden Is A Lovesome Thing ... However Small

Now it seems possible that Spring might on the way , one of the supermarket chains has a new promotion . For every 15 Euros you spend , you get one of these tiny grow kits


( it's potluck and there are twenty different kinds , so one would have to spend rather a lot to become Capability Brown but how my heart yearns for the aubergine one  ... )
It's aimed at children and their mums but everyone , including great-grannies with perms and rainhats , has a glint in their eyes as they queue at the cash tills .
I , too , have invested lavishly , stockpiling rice , potscourers and jam and now have 3 sets AND , having thrown caution to the winds ,  the instruction booklet for an extra .49 cents .



The scarecrow was free , I had a loo roll middle already and all I need now is a lolly stick to prop him up .
My Own Vegetable Garden should will have chives , some salad leaves and spring onions so far . Perhaps I can even  make the Light Spring Onion Soup from the recipe cards from  WWW.WITSHOP.CO.UK I got at Christmas .
It does call for three bunches of spring onions though so , just to be sure , I should go shopping again .....

7 comments:

Friko said...

I know shops do this sort of thing to encourage you to spend but at least the reward is pleasant and might get a child or older child (50+?) interested in growing things.

How much would a bunch of spring onions cost without the promotional gift?

English Rider said...

Go Grow!

Tattieweasle said...

You've got me looking at seed catalogues and itching to double dig the veggie patch which I had to leave deserted all last year - but this year I am raring to go...salads, onions maybe I'll try an aubergine or two! Thank you!

love those cupcakes said...

Well, you know what they say, from little acorns......

Colleen said...

Didn't we all start off small? I'm thinking damp flannels and cress here rather than spring onions though.

Joe Todd said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I am hoping to post a little more often in the future

Liz Hinds said...

Oh they look so much bigger in the first photo!

I hope if you get the aubergine you have more luck than Husband does with them ...