Sunday 17 April 2016

Not All Birds Tweet ...

I know , I'm a fraud  ... Bloggers are supposed to  blog , aren't they ;  post about things like their garden or knitting , personal journeys , achievements ...  Well , I could tell you about today's soup ; a new recipe from last week's paper :
      (  Frozen spinach , coconut milk and stock , a chili flake or two  . Simmer briefly and blitz . Add  some prawns . )
      but I won't ... I'll just say that replacing the prawns with frozen salmon wasn't a huge success and I won't be making it again . Oh yes , and that a final , rather desperate shake of Fish Sauce won't help . At all .

I could tell you about the library books I'm reading but I won't ... I'll just say that of all the books I've read lately , this is the one I really , really wish I'd written
 

 I could tell you  about my knitting but we'll draw a veil over that and the less said about any sewing the better ... I'm sort of hoping that the jeans I bought in November still fit me when I finally get round to hemming the second leg ...

 So I'll just show you my African violet which has just woken up again


and a rather fine cocoa goddess from Guatemala who I met in Assen , the other day .


It's just that there's a new bird perching outside my bedroom window this month  and no , he doesn't tweet  ... he wakes up at six every morning and starts bawling  what sounds like 
 " Raviol-i "!!!  , like some demented replacement Muppet chef . So now I'm going to eat a baked apple and lie down with my eyes closed and nod off ...

4 comments:

materfamilias said...

So sorry about the loudmouthed early riser. . . I know the type! Hope you manage to get some good sleep soon.

Marcheline said...

Last night, we slept with the windows open for the first time this season... and I discovered that some birds awaken around 4AM... still pitch black out... and they're singing. Hopefully by summer I will have gotten used to this. Baked apple, you say? Mmmmm! If you want a really delicious soup recipe that also calls for coconut milk, broth, and fish sauce, pop on over to my blog! You won't be disappointed, I can promise you!

Around My Kitchen Table said...

I love the dawn chorus, here in Devon, England. Better than an alarm clock, but I am more of a morning person than a night person.

rachel said...

Our dawn chorus seems mostly to come from blackbirds (who also sing in the depths of the night), wood pigeons and bluetits. The Gardener seems always to be plagued by chiff-chaffs, little birds who sing their repetitive two-note song relentlessly as he works.