Wednesday 22 February 2017

Extremely Random

Winter's gone on rather too long and I've now got butterfly brain but since , these days , I'm quite glad to have any brain at all , I'll just rattle it about and share the contents with you .
 

Unfortunately I'm not going to the hairdresser till next week , after Storm Doris is due to sweep across town . So I'd better stay at home for the next couple of days or my hair will be whipping around like a lassoo . I'd hate to strangle someone en route to the greengrocer's .
No , my hair's not really like her's ( or the bear's , fortunately ) but I've got to the stage where my fringe tickles my nose and wakes me up . But since it's half-term this week ... rather nicely called the Crocus holiday here ... everyone useful has vanished for a few days ; if they're not skiing , they're looking after their grandchildren .

I'm happy to stay at home though ,for a day or two  , having got three Minette Walters whodunnits and a gallon of carrot soup to get through , though there is obviously a slight risk of turning orange by the weekend .

It's been a week or two of odd moments . Sitting on a bus with a recently arrived refugee family whose two little boys were invited to sit in the front by the bus driver , who then went round each roundabout twice , much to their delight  .  A couple of older locals expressed their appreciation of the ride too , as they got off ... perhaps it'll become a regular feature like Pensioners film afternoons .

Seeing a man in sheepskin mitts paddling his kayak up the river in a short snowstorm ( looked very awkward , whether because of the mitts or just blinded by the almost hail-like snow , I don't know ) .

Noticing that there's a new driving school in town called Toples , which just translates as Top Lessons  , but which probably is building up their business , no end , especially among school leavers .

And being tickled to notice in an article on the current shortage of iceberg lettuces that there's a British Leafy Salads Association .

As I said , winter's gone on rather too long ...

9 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes it has. Fortunately the double roundabout tour is seasonless.

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, I love hearing about the bus driver and the refugee family!

lovethosecupcakes said...

Actually, Doris appears to have just left the building here as there's a hint of a blue sky and the wind has suddenly died down. Bless that driver. I might be tempted to travel by bus if there were more like him/her (my boy doesn't drive so uses them every day and he often comes home with tales of the bus driving off just as he reaches the bus stop). Enjoy all the reading and the soup.

Lucille said...

Storm Doris has just whipped my needing-a-cut hair around my face as I went out to retrieve a flying trug.
Celeriac and fennel soup about to be made here and a rerun through my Molly Keanes is scheduled.
How lovely to hear of a playful bus driver. They are inclined to be rather grim and unsmiling here and don't slow down for the speed humps.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Had a good laugh at your line about the bear, LOL!

molly said...


Well, if you DO turn orange you'll be in (in)famous company. Had a good laugh at Holland's Welcome Trump video! Lovely that your bus driver is such a great guy. He could teach outr politicians a thing or two. And if there was a driving school here with a name like that the'd have a waiting list into the next decade! Roll on Spring and crocus time.....

Liz Hinds said...

A wonderfully random collection of titbits! I'm off to the hairdresser tomorrow. My hair passed the 5-minute-it's-perfect stage some time ago. And what a great bus driver. For a moment I feared a bad reaction from the pensioners so maybe Dutch ones are nicer!

Shoshanah said...

I admire people who row in winter. It takes a special type of person!

rachel said...

Loved the heartwarming story of the bus driver - a nice man, of a type unlikely to be seen round here (refugee families ditto).

Soup lakes tend to be celeriac in this house at present!