Monday 30 January 2017

Consequences Of Having Daughters

Finding yourself the owner of pale green socks with cartoon mice all over them or finding yourself the owner of glittery golden socks .


Being given a kit to make a pair of Latvian mittens in a pattern optimistically called The Thousand Year Old Mitten ... the donor saying that she won't be surprised to inherit the semi-finished kit . Or a raspberry flavoured Matrushka doll lip salve .
Sharing supper with someone who's eaten your version of pizza Margherita since childhood and doesn't expect it to taste like the real thing .
Sharing supper with someone who knows exactly what risotto should taste like and can cook it for you .
Long rambling 'phone calls that stop before Silent Witness .
Talking to someone who knows who you're talking about when you mention cigar bands or shortbread, burnt toast or winning Your Dream Cottage contests .
Going on extraordinary excursions that wouldn't have occurred to you but turn out to be just what you wanted to do .

I know sons are lovely , too , and my grandsons are a constant delight but I would have hated not to have had daughters .

6 comments:

molly said...


I have two and I only wish they didn't live so far away!

Joanne Noragon said...

They are a joy, and expect us to remain up to snuff.

Vicki Lane said...

How lovely! I have two sons -- but they have given me charming daughters-in-law and now we are expecting a granddaughter. A new world lies ahead!

lovethosecupcakes said...

Love your list. Like my parents, I count myself lucky to have two children, one of each flavour.

Liz Hinds said...

What a wonderful tribute!

rachel said...

What a lovely post!