Tuesday 27 October 2009

Floating About In The Ether

Sonata:

Felled by a headache at work yesterday , I came home early and spent the rest of the afternoon under a blanket on the sofa , like a moulting owl .
I never get headaches .....not as a matter of principle , I'm just lucky and don't . If I get anything , it's a sore throat ( no smirking from those who know how much I talk ) . So I had to consult my handy Enquire Within for remedies .


I see that one " should lie down in a darkened room with a cold bandage round the head . A few drops of ether may be used on a rag and added . Cover all with oiled silk to prevent evaporation " .
Unable to face climbing back on my bike to seek either oiled silk or ether , let alone do anything so noisy as rip an old sheet into bandages , I looked again . Luckily I then read that some cases are benefited by taking a strong cup of tea or coffee .
And it works .

8 comments:

rachel said...

A very educational post, Sonata! What to do about a headache, and how to make the household's moulting owl comfortable....

FWOG. said...

Yes, I never seem to have oiled silk or ether ready at hand when I need it either.

I quite like that 'etiquette' and 'gardening' are to be found together in those subject headings on the cover. Always a compelling combination.
W

Tania said...

Really? I'm going to have to try that strong tea thing. Just as soon as I get to grips with the moulting owl on the sofa.

laurie said...

i am the Headache Queen. if i don't get one a day, it's a lucky day. coffee is good because of the caffeine, but my drug of choice is excedrin--a combination of aspirin, acetemenophine, and caffeine. it almost always works and i could not live without it.

by the way, i ordered one of your bracelets and it arrived yesterday. it is gorgeous. it will make a lovely christmas gift for my sister if i don't keep it myself.

Dumdad said...

Can't beat a good cuppa tea!

GUGAW said...

cute book! maybe it's just me but i find a little intake of sugar and salts (i.e. crisps and chocolate) helps with a lot of headaches ;)

Anonymous said...

It's so annoying when one runs out of oiled silk and ether! Hope your feathers are now firmly back in place...

Anonymous said...

Hiya. I'll take a couple or so drops of ether myself... should do very nicely and can't think why I never thought of it! That was nice of you to drop by and see me by the way ;-)