Tuesday 17 November 2009

Three Bean Stew and the BeeGees .

Sonata:

You find yourself doing the oddest things sometimes . Kneeling on a concrete floor , pumping up and down on some limbless plastic doll's chest while singing "Staying Alive ", for instance . Mind you , I sincerely hope that , if I do ever have to reanimate someone , no one tries to help by counting along ....in Dutch . The seemingly backwards counting after 20 ( Eenentwintig , tweeentwintig , drieentwintig ....) kept on making me lose the thread . Never mind trying to ignore someone on the other side counting in Arabic .

No one had better look peaky round me for a while . Thanks to our employer's desire for no one to drop dead prematurely on our premises , I have every eventuality covered now from the Heimlich manoeuvre to making a sling . My pre-war Newnes Household Encyclopaedia , on the other hand , went straight from Fire-Kindlers to Fish . First Aid didn't seem to exist in the 1920s.
Nor , I suspect , did the supper kindly provided afterwards . 3 Bean Stew with Chili Peppers and Pineapple . It was probably chosen because it couldn't offend anyone , be they Muslim , Hindi or vegetarian . It made me long for toast and Marmite ....so , after I'd pedalled home through the rain , that's just what I ate .

But that damn song just goes on and on .....

5 comments:

rachel said...

Should I ever require resuscitation, I really would hope it wouldn't be accompanied by the BeeGees - I'd be off down that tunnel to the white light like a shot!

Tania said...

Now I'm all worried. I have reanimated a mannequin to the same song (CPR techniques are global!). The thing that has me concerned, is that extra syllable in the Dutch 21, 22 and 23. Couldn't that extra syllable kill someone?

I would have taken great offence at the pineapple.

Anonymous said...

I'm struggling a little. High pitched male voices, lots of teeth, pineapple and chillie in the same mouth full. Then you had to cycle home in the rain. You have my admiration.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I think I would need the Heimlich manouvre if I had to eat beans and chili peppers AND pineapple, eeuw...not nice! But I'm sure your cycle home was jet propelled!

GUGAW said...

pineapple? hmm interesting!