Wednesday 8 June 2011

I Do Love Amsterdam , It's True

Sonata:








This graffiti on a loo door sums up what I feel about Amsterdam . After all , what's not to love ?


The market in Cuypstraat selling everything from cutprice flipflops and fresh sardines to wooden toys and Thai silk . Bazar , the best place for a cheap and delicious lunch . Chicken kebabs , salad and tabouleh , 11 Euros with a beer .





Wandering back up the Prinsengracht as the Friday summer evening boat "promenade" hots up . Little rose-smothered galleries and mural-clad cafes








Supper with Youngest Daughter in Duende , eating our weight in authentic tapas , chistorras and all . Strolling back along the canals in the evening sun , meeting old friends along the way .


Or Saturday in the Farmer's Market by the Noorderkerk . Sourdough bread and fresh herbs , Breton pancakes and crunchy apples .



And organic buttermilk by the glass from this cheese stall




Vintage clothes , antiques and klezmer music .


Roses everywhere in the Jordaan .


And the Slut Walk .... Well, admittedly , that was an accident . While I fully support the cause , I really needed to get to the station but somehow got caught up and swept along by the joyous banner-waving , scantily clad mob . I even had my photo taken by a press photographer , for Heaven's sake ! "Mary Whitehouse Thinks Again ?" before I could pop out the other side and rush up the street to meet Y.D. for a coffee in 1Klas , a very stylish cafe on platform 1 , complete with palm trees and a white parrot .




I showed Y.D. the photos I'd managed to grab of the demo .


"Oh look , there's Mario's friend ... oh , and Jennifer ... and What'shername " And no she wasn't pointing out young women friends . Jennifer's 6 foot 6 tall in gold wedge heels , a beard and an impressive decollete . Y.D.'s gone native .

10 comments:

rachel said...

Oh, I love Amsterdam too! Sadly, only as a tourist, but still, that's enough. I'll go back one day....

Von said...

Me too.I know I'll never be there again but have had many visits.I have my memories!

Rattling On said...

I've only been once. There was a kissing competition in the main square...won by two boys who just happened to be passing. So very Amsterdam!
Oh, and we went to a special exhibition of torture... loved it all.

Liz Hinds said...

so where are the photos of the Slit Walk? (Love the name!)

love those cupcakes said...

I've never visited (it's on the list) though the husband spent time there in the 60's. With a US draft dodger.

Deborah said...

All right, that doees it. Amsterdam is now at the top of the list for a weekend destination sometime reaaaally soon. I'm jealous. You can have the beaches and the stone walls and the lavender fields - I'll take your urban experience any day.

Carolina said...

Oh, now I'm so homesick. Being born in Amsterdam, I've lived there until the age of 15 and then my parents felt they had to move to Drenthe. Now I've adopted Groningen, where some of my roots are and where I live now, but seeing these photos of Amsterdam... *sigh* ;-)

How cool that your younger daughter knew some of the participants in the slut walk. Hehe.

Friko said...

an awful lot of this post is about food. is that at all relevant?

I adore Amsterdam! It's the best place to be.

Tania said...

So just an ordinary Amsterdam day then. NOTHING not to love...

Planet Penny said...

Gosh, you do know how to live across the water!!!