Thursday 29 September 2016

It's On The Turn ...



It's on the turn , finally ...

No , not the carton of milk in my fridge , but summer into autumn . A whole month of warmth and blue , blue skies had lulled me into a glow of careless good humour .


Till this morning when a predicted brisk wind became ferocious and , fearing for life and limb , instead of going on the bike I took the bus to Keep Fit . Well no , two there and two back actually ... a total of four bus rides , admittedly short , so that I could use the gym's cycling machine for ten minutes and the treadmill for another ten .
What was that about global warming ?

Apart from that I'm building up layers of fat to see me through the winter ... not round my middle , fortunately , but stacked as pots of chickpeas ( much nicer than tinned ones ) and soup in the freezer , as though I didn't live a three minute bike ride from the supermarket . 
Even YD , not normally a squirrelly person , reports in her turn a freezer full of small mineral water bottles of home-made chicken stock and a future of Venetian risotto .
I might even make some muffins .

Outside the rain's coming down sideways , and inside I've just filled the biggest mug in the house with coffee and picked up my book again .


I've got to find out what happens at the end .

7 comments:

molly said...


Even though our temperatures here are still hovering in the ninety degree (F) range, I detect the tiniest hint of cooling in the mornings --- just enough to inspire me to make scones and an apple cake this past week! Thanks for mentioning that book. I went and read a review and it sounds like a winner.

lovethosecupcakes said...

Is there a better word in the seasonal dictionary than autumn? Winter, maybe. Great idea to stock up the freezer (ours needs a good sorting, it's full of so many odds and ends). Don't think I've ever cooked chickpeas but I may have to now, just to taste the difference.

materfamilias said...

Ah, you'll want all that stockpile of food when you get to the end of that. . . I'd best say no more. . . hunker down, though, hunker down. ..

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Autumn comes and the nesting instinct kicks in!

Vagabonde said...

I like fall weather here in Georgia, it is cooler but still sunny and warm. Actually today is gorgeous and it is hard to believe that on the coast, in Savannah, Georgia, they are preparing and even evacuating for upcoming hurricane Matthew. I hope it will stay away from the coast as much as possible.

The Happy Whisk said...

Something warm to drink and a book.

Sounds darn good.

rachel said...

What a delightful poster!
I love autumn most of all, and today I really must do something about that enormous heap of apples languishing in the kitchen!