Wednesday 21 November 2018

Free-Space


Thanks to Free-Space*, I've got two tea-bag size bruises, one on each knee.

Like everywhere else our town is evolving. The old library , together with the equally old bank building behind it, is becoming an off shoot of Groningen University, something to do with commerce or tourism , I think, and once the builders have gone will have students running up and down the steps all day. So recently the streets and spaces around have been reorganised. Buses, cars and delivery vans still use them … and so do people both on and off bikes. But FREELY!  No more white lines or traffic lights, no boring traffic signs .

The traffic, apart from buses, can drive in the general direction of  its destination as long as it looks where it's going. And that's where I and a young girl went wrong. Both trying to go along the top of the bridge in a hurry but in different directions , we collided. Mind you, she wasn't to know that I'd just come back from England where everybody'd been driving on the other side of the road or that I'm not really fit to be let out alone on wheels at the best of times. Anyway, a nice young man picked us both up and we both hobbled off. And  I'm going back to cycling through the red light district again; it's much easier to navigate during the day.
* Officially called Shared Space, apparently.


Since it's suddenly winter and nearly freezing, I'm back to cooking industrial quantities of baked apples and the flat smells of cinnamon, I've hauled out the Annual Scarf … well, the Triennial scarf actually since it's been on the needles for ever … and Masterchef and Strictly Come Dancing are on television again. I can't watch one more young chef forget how to make Beef Wellington when watched by Marcus Waring … I can do that myself.  And it's easier to cherish the belief that I can tango when not actually watching people doing it.

Thank heaven for Netflix.

4 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

OMG, I am salivating over the beautiful colors of the alpaca. Oh, wait, we were offered a reflection on cautious driving. Nevermind! Are the skeins enough for two entire socks, or will there be stripes?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I am never under the illusion that I can tango.

love those cupcakes said...

Ouch! Hope the bruises have faded and your dignity restored. I'm loving MasterChef the Professionals at the moment, though I have a feeling it's more about ogling MW than an interest in blobs and smears on plates.

Liz Hinds said...

Glad you were both alright anyway. But that sounds crazy. Does it really work?