Saturday 2 March 2019

Thought For Today:

      "Life is a near-death experience. Stumble around in giddy gratitude while you still can''  

This quote from Jen Sincero popped up in a book by Lisa Genova today and I thought I'd share it with you. I usually avoid all these homilies like the plague and don't have embroidered cushions exhorting my guests to count their blessings dotted about but this appealed because it describes this week perfectly.

 The sun shone, the birds sang and all the early bulbs are flowering. Sitting outside Starbuck's in the sun, hearing about Friend's homework and her teaching practice with young teens, I gave thanks for being old enough to retire.

There are things about retirement I don't much like. It can be very quiet at times and you miss the mid-morning gossip, but I don't miss the endless meetings about whether we should insist on every child only bringing fruit for snacks or allowing bread and butter as well or just  not having any rules at all and running the risk of biscuits or croissants. The political correctness got a bit wearing and, in fact, the one boy who I saw helping his mother last Christmas in the supermarket had invariably had an iced bun in his snack box when he was three. Rules per se  don't bring out the best in people and the average pre-schooler's morning doesn't normally revolve round having a banana or carrot sticks. I expect this lad was carrying four shopping bags and herding his mum to the bus stop out of affection.

But retirement does have its advantages … I find I quite like life on the wild side. I like being free to do what I please a lot of the time. I might well go in for some giddy gratitude tomorrow ...

5 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm not a framer and hanger, either. But this sentence is something to hang on to, and have at the ready. I thank you.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like that quotation. And personally, I'm loving every single minute of being retired! Free at last!!!!!

molly said...


I'm glad I'm not the only one! When I was in the throes of raising my children I thought I'd never again, for the rest of my days, have enough sleep or a moment to myself or the leisure to 'stumble around in giddy gratitude.' And now I am elated to report that I have all three!

Liz Hinds said...

I like that: life is a near death experience. I love the Christian Aid motto too: we believe in life before death.

Also love being retired. Now if only I had time to do all the things I want to do.

Lucille said...

I like that quote and I'm not one for embroidered homilies either. There aren't enough hours in the day for all the things, large and small that I want to fit in and reading your blog is one of them. I am catching up now. I have been out for some culcher and now am tucked up while the wind howls around the property and batters down my daffs.