Sunday 14 July 2019

The Capsule Wardrobe

Do you remember when a key article every summer in every women's magazine was  " What To Pack For Your Holidays "? Then it just depended on whether you were headed to a week in Frinton, a fortnight in Torquay or a month in the Highlands. Whatever the destination, sunburn would probably occur and a rain hat might be carried by at least one of the party.

 Not everybody went to the sea-side of course. Maybe your granny lived in the country, maybe you had an aunty in Ireland but nearly everybody went somewhere. And , wherever you went, you took a heavy suitcase with you and there would be at least a couple of new things in it.

I was thinking of this on Friday as Younger Daughter and I wandered through the Amsterdam Uniclo on the way to my train. It's recently opened and I do like their clothes but I couldn't help feeling that, now I don't work, I really don't need to buy anything anymore. I've got a couple of warm coats and plenty of jumpers. I've still got dozens of T-shirts, since working with small children we'd be covered in sticky finger prints regularly. I've got plenty of jeans. I don't get dressed up any more.

 I'm obviously getting old.


 But really, more than anything else, we'd just spent an hour in the Historic Museum admiring a tiny collection of their Georgian and Victorian clothes. Only 75 items in all, each exquisite. And I found the Perfect Dress. If I could I would just wear this for ever more....... Isn't it heavenly?

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, once you're retired, you can wear any old thing. At least I do!

Joanne Noragon said...

I admit to a wardrobe of jeans and statement tee shirts myself, but if I had that dress, and a 17" waist, you'd see me wearing it.

Lucille said...

I read a post recently on The Joyful House in which the author had been challenged by her daughter to wear a dress every day for a week. She managed it with a very nice selection of dresses but she has better legs than me, some nice strappy sandals and evidently doesn't feel the cold. Now that we are back from sweltering in France I am firmly ensconced in the usual jeans and t-shirt combo with added cashmere jumper today because it thinks it's September.

Liz Hinds said...

It's very lovely but my dress of choice is the one with little flowers on - blue I think - worn by Scarlett O'Hara. I'd like a bit of her charm and cheek too.

Most of my clothes come from sainsburys these days. I was tempted by some items in a shop advertised on facebook but it's too much effort. Hm, thoughts for a blog post here.